Earth ElyBack to Activities
The charity Earth Ely offers the opportunity to learn horticulture in their polytunnels and on their allotments. The small, knowledgeable team encourage everyone to try their hand at growing, plant care, land maintenance and seasonal planning, with teaching and encouragement.
This activity is good for wellbeing because
- Being outside is great for your mental and physical health; the Earth Ely site attracts plenty of wildlife to enjoy being in the presence of
- Learning benefits morale, self-confidence and fights cognitive decline
- Working as a team to grow the produce is great for building friendships and encouraging respectful relationships with others
How to contact
Where to go
Larkfield Community Centre
What to expect?
Contact Earth Ely on the mobile number given to discuss your interest and arrange a first visit.
When you arrive at Larkfield there is a small carpark or onstreet parking on High Barns. The Earth Ely HQ is a large wooden hut with a banner outside and can be easily spotted down a path to the left of the community centre. Accessible toilet facilities are inside the main building.
You will be warmly greeted and introduced to the other attendees at that session. Tasks and activities will depend on the time of year but will be clearly outlined and you’ll be given as much or as little guidance as you need. The culture of the group is friendly, accepting and hardworking.
Earth Ely has an inclusive ethos, believing that everyone brings their own set of skills. They already work with adults with learning disabilities and difficulties and are really keen to expand the group to benefit those with dementia (and their carers) and those experiencing mental health challenges. However, everyone is welcome and there will always be activities for any ability.
Earth Ely also has a need for volunteers with some horticultural knowledge to help guide and teach others.
- If you’re not sure whether this activity is for you, do ask about a free taster session to get a feel for it.
- There is a cost per session