Ely MuseumBack to Activities
Redeveloped in 2021, Ely Museum tells the story of the landscape and how it was shaped by people, using displays from the earliest fossils through to the 21st century. As well as regular opening hours for the general public, school visits and public events can be arranged.
This activity is good for wellbeing because
- A visit to Ely Museum is enjoyable for all ages & provides a range of interactive exhibits and activities on a range of subjects from dinosaurs to life in the Fens! The new design is very inclusive with features aimed specifically at younger visitors, those with additional sensory needs and some really informative text for those who enjoy detailed facts.
- Visiting Ely Museum provides an opportunity to learn more about the landscape and people of the Fens. The beautifully laid out galleries take you on a walk through history from the earliest settlers, through the building's time as the city gaol and the ways in which the landscape has been adapted to suit modern farming. Learning is great for building self-confidence, amongst other things. Understanding local history can help with a sense of belonging.
- Volunteering at Ely Museum is a great way to enhance an individual's wellbeing whilst also providing an opportunity to enhance the learning and enjoyment of others. From volunteering at busy family friendly events to formal and informal learning sessions - there is something for all to be involved with. Find out more in the volunteering section of their website.
How to contact
Where to go
The Old Gaol
What to expect?
As you enter the courtyard, take a moment to look at the plants which are an exhibit in themselves. The main entrance through glass doors is clear to see and the reception desk is just inside. If you have children with you, don’t forget to grab explorers kit from the chest to the right of reception, where you can also leave coats if you wish. Make your way in to the museum heading left from the desk and prepare to be enthralled as you follow the easy flow through the exhibits. There are toilets on both floors and a wheelchair accessible lift should you need it.
You will find some guides for the museum on their website.
Ely Museum is located on the corner of Market Street and Lynn Road with the main entrance through a large gateway in the brick wall on Market Street.
The museum is a five-minute walk from Ely Market and from Ely Cathedral and a twenty-minute walk from the train station. The entrance is directly opposite the main bus stops in central Ely.
- Activities within the museum, such as our explorer chest & museum trails, are included with the ticket price.
- Under 5’s, Art Pass and MA Holders, Essential Carers and Friends of The Museum get in free.
- There is a cost for entry which is then valid for one year.