Social Car Scheme (VCAEC)Back to Activities
The Social Car Scheme run by VCAEC offers door-to-door transport to people who are frail, elderly, disabled or isolated. They will help to facilitate any journey that would otherwise be difficult but priority is given to medical appointments.
This activity is good for wellbeing because
- Helping other access vital community services is a great way to contribute to your local community
- Committing to regular volunteering can provide structure and routine
- Being part of the Social Car Scheme creates opportunities for social connections
How to contact
Where to go
Rear Offices in Centre E 24 Barton Road Ely Cambs
What to expect?
- You need only to commit a few hours but preferably on a regular basis
- A full DBS check will be carried out
- Drivers are asked to provide transport but do not have caring responsibilities -passengers will be able to get themselves in and out of the vehicle unaided and walk the short distance to and from the car
- You will receive a mileage allowance from the customer (contact VCAEC’s directly to check current rate of pay per mile)
- You will need access to a roadworthy vehicle and to hold a full driving license
- Destinations include the following ; doctors, dentists, shopping, opticians, chiropodists, vets,
hospital, hearing/sight tests, visit friends & relatives who are in hospital or care homes
- Priority is given to medical appointments
Find out about other volunteering opportunities via Voluntary Community Action East Cambs (VCAEC) here.